Letter Number One
Okay, everyone has already read this, but my mother requested that I
post this letter on here anyway.
---------------
Gamorjoba (hello) to all,
Most of you by now know that I received my invite from the P.C.
and am heading to the wonderfully mysterious Georgia. Not Atlanta, but
Georgia as in "former soviet state, make lots of wine, birth place of
Stalin, Georgia". I will be teaching English in a rural school (grade
unknown as of now). I leave for Staging, which is the two day
orientation in either DC or Philly, on June 11th and then fly out June
13th. I am incredibly excited about this placement as it meets my two
main requirements: 1) Not hot all year round. It actually has been
described as being somewhat Mediterranean like in most areas, and
colder in the mountains, which sounds fantastic to me. 2) Good food.
Apparently, the food is legendary and eating involves many complex
ritualistic toasts. The food is supposedly a mix of middle eastern and
eastern European food… lots of garlic and cheeses and kabobs...
mmmmmm.
I believe my group of volunteers will have about 30 people in it, so
it is somewhat small. The country itself is about half of the size of
the US state of Georgia. If that gives you some idea-- not too big
really.
I have no idea at this point what my internet access will be like
there, some volunteers have daily access others only once a month at
best. Thus, I am expecting lots and lots of letters from everyone (and
possibly some packages with yummy treats).
I know you are all already writing those fantastic letters you are
going to be sending me so here is the address that you can use at
least for the first three months I am there during training (after
which I should move to my permanent location and will have a new
address). I cannot stress to you how much I am going to thrive on
getting your letters, postcards, packages, emails, etc., so please
don't forget about me and I swear I will do my best to write to all of
you.
ErLc& Zai$er
P.O. Box 66
Tbilisi 2, 380002
GEORGIA
Also, I am well aware that there are probably many people who are not
included in this email that would love to have me threaten them to
send letters. However, I probably don't have their email address or
just couldn't find it. So, if anyone knows who those people are and
what their email addresses are, please please please reply to this and
send me their addresses so I can forward this message to them as well
as have their email for future updates. I am considering starting some
sort of blog or website specifically for posting about my adventure in
Georgia so that anyone who is interested can check it out. More about
that will come later. Furthermore, anyone who expects me to write to
them must send me their address. Preferably I will learn your address
when I arrive in Georgia to find that you have all already sent me
letters with your return address on them. However, for those of you
who are less likely to take some initiative, send me your address so I
can hand write you angry letters about how I have not heard from you.
Okay, I think that covers everything. If anyone has any questions
about Georgia, send em this way. I have been having a blast
researching obscure information about my soon to be new home. I am
missing you all already and if you think I am being demanding now, you
just wait for the email asking if you have bought your plane tickets
to see me yet.
2 Comments:
At Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:32:00 AM EDT,
shirlee said…
don't leave please
At Monday, June 6, 2005 at 2:56:00 PM EDT,
Unknown said…
Yeah! :)
WOO.
Post a Comment
<< Home