plugging along
Hey all. Sorry I am have been a big lazyass in the posting department. Things have gotten pretty mundane here, I go to school, have no idea whats going on, teach some classes, and go home. One of the teachers really doesn't like me (although she insisted I teach her class... go figure) and she makes that pretty well known. Everyone else seems to like me alright, and I think the students do too (and aren't they the only ones who matter anyway).
Its getting colder here, so now my family is going mental bottling everything we need to eat over the winter. Which seems to mostly consist of obscene amounts of ketchup... perhaps that is a warning as to the numbers of potatos i will be eating in the winter months. I think we have enough ketchup to eat a bottle a day... seriously. Also, I thought they were trying to poison us all, but it turns out they put Asprin in the ketchup as a preservative... interesting huh? Isn't that bad for you? I don't know, but I guess we won't have any headaches this winter either. So everyone keeps asking me why I suck so much at this language, and here is a brief explanation about the insanity that is Georgian language.
1) the verbs are WACKY!!!! Basically if you can't master georgian verbs, you can't really speak the language at all. Many verbs have 66 forms. Seriously, 66 forms, and sometimes, they sound NOTHING like any of the other ones. Take for example, the verb "to give". It is not only different depending on who the subject is, it changes based on the object to. Plus they have special forms for using it as a comand, or with a model verb. Sometimes they follow a pattern.. sometimes not so much. Throw in past present and future of all of these and you have lots and lots of forms that sound only slightly similar. You basically just have to memorize them. Insanity.
2)The language has insane letters. There is T and t. K and k. There are multiple sounds that resemble choking which I cannot type in English letters, and there are letter combinations like tz, ts, dz, which really all sound the same. Plus half the time they have like 4 letters in a row that don't include vowels- like vmgzavrob (I travel).
3) they don't use articles... which confuses me.
4) they don't have prepositions, they have post-positions.
5) time telling... its the most absurd. 4:45 is translated into "the 5th hour lacks 15 minutes". 3:15 is "the fourth hour has 15 minutes." What the heck is that crap?
Okay, so thats your little intro to the georgian language. dzallian dznelia. me vstzavlob, magram me var dzallian nela da me ar momtsons laparaki. (It is very difficult. I study, but I am very slow and I don't like to speak). Oh, and Andrew is visiting me soon! YAY! It will be fun to have a visitor, so long as my family doesn't go mental over my lack of baking for him (long story).
Its getting colder here, so now my family is going mental bottling everything we need to eat over the winter. Which seems to mostly consist of obscene amounts of ketchup... perhaps that is a warning as to the numbers of potatos i will be eating in the winter months. I think we have enough ketchup to eat a bottle a day... seriously. Also, I thought they were trying to poison us all, but it turns out they put Asprin in the ketchup as a preservative... interesting huh? Isn't that bad for you? I don't know, but I guess we won't have any headaches this winter either. So everyone keeps asking me why I suck so much at this language, and here is a brief explanation about the insanity that is Georgian language.
1) the verbs are WACKY!!!! Basically if you can't master georgian verbs, you can't really speak the language at all. Many verbs have 66 forms. Seriously, 66 forms, and sometimes, they sound NOTHING like any of the other ones. Take for example, the verb "to give". It is not only different depending on who the subject is, it changes based on the object to. Plus they have special forms for using it as a comand, or with a model verb. Sometimes they follow a pattern.. sometimes not so much. Throw in past present and future of all of these and you have lots and lots of forms that sound only slightly similar. You basically just have to memorize them. Insanity.
2)The language has insane letters. There is T and t. K and k. There are multiple sounds that resemble choking which I cannot type in English letters, and there are letter combinations like tz, ts, dz, which really all sound the same. Plus half the time they have like 4 letters in a row that don't include vowels- like vmgzavrob (I travel).
3) they don't use articles... which confuses me.
4) they don't have prepositions, they have post-positions.
5) time telling... its the most absurd. 4:45 is translated into "the 5th hour lacks 15 minutes". 3:15 is "the fourth hour has 15 minutes." What the heck is that crap?
Okay, so thats your little intro to the georgian language. dzallian dznelia. me vstzavlob, magram me var dzallian nela da me ar momtsons laparaki. (It is very difficult. I study, but I am very slow and I don't like to speak). Oh, and Andrew is visiting me soon! YAY! It will be fun to have a visitor, so long as my family doesn't go mental over my lack of baking for him (long story).
6 Comments:
At Monday, October 10, 2005 at 6:56:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
That's funny! Miss you bunches. Hope you and Andrew have fun and enjoy each other (with or without the baked goods)...Wish we could join you.
Love, Mom and Dad
At Friday, October 14, 2005 at 9:06:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
hey there hun, i hope you are having fun. i see what you mean about that crazy language. i still don't understand the 4th hour when it is the 3rd hour thing. wishful thinking on the part of the fourth hour i guess. your kitty is sooooo cute!!! he is adorable. i should send you a picture of my rabbit, you think they'd get along? well email me sometime
At Tuesday, October 18, 2005 at 5:39:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
Ketchup with aspirin in it sounds like the Ketchp from the National Ketchup Assosiation on Prarie Home Companion....
At Friday, October 21, 2005 at 1:56:00 AM EDT,
shirlee said…
catsup is good. and a much more fun way of spelling it.
hurry up and scan that address already. i've got things to mail!
p.s. shuly and i want to know if you're alive
At Friday, October 21, 2005 at 5:17:00 AM EDT,
Anonymous said…
erica its about damn time you said something! you have been a lazyass with posting or emailing or anything. i live in kenya and email more than you, no excuses you! erica i want to know about bird flu where you are, i know it hasnt gone into georgia yet but has peace corps med been talking to you guys about anything? keep me updated. i'm sending out an email soon so i wont write too much, but did you get my last letter? i think it has a picture in it with a chicken...or a skull of a buffalo.. (obviously those two are easy to mix up) ok i'm going back to my really sad and lonely life now.sigh. wondering if i'll ever hear from you again!!!
At Friday, October 21, 2005 at 5:30:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
Power has been out...Erica said...also, brother (Andrew) visited for a few days and has now left. Be patient, Shuly, I think Erica will get back online when the power returns so that she can recharge the battery on her laptop and cell phone. She appreciates hearing from y'all and that you are still reading her blog. We all love you, Erica.
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home