Rockin it in Georgia
Gamarjoba! Rghor Khar? Me Kargi dzallian var. (Hello, how are you? I am very good)
I bet you all didn’t think you would hear from me! Don’t worry, I am alive and well. I have been here for less than a week now, but we have already done so much. We flew in to
We arrived at Likani at about
My host family is wonderful. I couldn’t have asked for a better family to be placed with. Nona, my host mother, speaks English well enough to explain things to me, so I think I am pretty lucky (as none of the other volunteers have this luxury). I also have hot showers every couple days—and yes, being able to take a hot shower every three days is totally posh compared to the other volunteers. I mock them in class because they all stink. The houses people live in are pretty large and most people have lots of land where they grow their own grapes and make homemade wine. There are three children in my family; they are 8, 10, and 12 years old. They are incredibly cute and well behaved and seem to love me. They also have become my best teachers. They take me all over the house and teach me how to say everything. We spend hours and hours just practicing counting and basic sentences—they have more patience with me than anyone else I think. In turn, I am teaching them the English words. It really works out pretty well. Lizi, the 8 year old (and quite possibly the cutest kid on the planet), is sitting here right now fascinated by my typing and the computer in general. I have no idea what she is saying to me ever, but she rattles off in Georgian anyway. Needless to say, she is the subject of many of my pictures (she recently mastered saying “one, two, three, CHEESE”). My family has two hunting dogs who keep me company if I am ever alone (which is never). I thought it would be hard living with a family. Sometimes I wonder if I am ever going to get any alone time, but I guess it is good that they keep me busy enough I don’t really have time to get sad or feel homesick.
We have language lessons everyday in the morning and then teacher training in the afternoon. On Fridays we will be traveling to another town to meet up with the other volunteers for a day of group training. This town doesn’t have a post office, so I guess Friday is when I will be able to mail things as well. But, I do have internet right here in my host family’s home. It is the slowest dial up ever. But it works. I just will pay my host family at the end of the month, and I think it is 2 Tetri a minute (one cent). So its not too shabby of a deal, but it takes forever for anything to load, so I won’t be doing much on here, just posting once in a while I hope. I haven’t been able to check my email yet, because Gmail won’t load… I think its too slow or something.
So, to sum it all up, so far I love it here. I really do. I actually have sat around and thought about how bad I feel for all you people who aren’t here. It is beautiful and the people are wonderful. It really is true that Georgians love Americans. They are so kind and patient with us when we can’t communicate and everyone invites you in and hugs and kisses you like you are an old friend. They believe that guests are gifts from God and they will treat you that way. OH OH. How can I forget to mention the food? The food is fantastic… no wait.. that doesn’t sum it up. The food is…. Incredibly, amazingly, fantastically, delicious, and wonderful. Seriously. My host mother makes homemade bread, cheese, and wine (all of which I hope I will learn to make soon). For dinner we usually have Kachapuri (a cheese bread), some sort of potato dish with lots of cilantro or dill or some other spice, wine, salad, sometimes meat, and sometimes this bean stuff. For breakfast she usually makes this sweet rice mush stuff (tastes like rice pudding) or French toast. I have yet to find something I don’t like. Everything is fresh from the garden or homemade… its amazing. Cheese is huge here; it is mostly this very salty, feta-like, goat cheese. MMMMMMM. I know you are all so jealous now, and you should be. So yeah, food excellent, house nice, scenery good, weather nice (pretty cool about 55-60 usually), people great. I have yet to experience a real Supra, but we have sat around and made toasts, I mostly just nod and smile since I have no idea whats going on. But they just tell me when to raise my glass and I say Gamarjos and everyone loves it. They think its hilarious to make me pronounce words since I totally can’t say half their letters. I would type a word for you, but we don’t use the sounds, so you wouldn’t really get the idea. The language is hard, but I hope that with the kids help and my language classes I will be able to at least somewhat communicate soon. As of now I can basically say: I am Erica. I am a Peace Corps volunteer from
Well with that I am off. Love you all and I hope that this was not completely confusing. The more you study another language the worse your English gets.
8 Comments:
At Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 10:39:00 AM EDT,
Anonymous said…
You make me homesick now too :). And hungry too, I haven't had lunch yet! Please, from now on, only post after lunchtime, ok? Thaaaanks.
Great to hear from you! I'm glad everything is going well.
At Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 5:08:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
I knew you would reach us some how. How will our mail get to you if you are in Likani? The address you gave us is in Tblisi. Also, the girl who has been to Georgia is looking for a roommate and I might move in with her in August.
At Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 8:35:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
Hey, I really enjoyed your descriptions of the language, scenery, and food. Its also really interesting to get the inside scoop on traveling on being a peace core volunteer. Keep writing.
Love, Sayulita(an old friend of your moms) currently in Ecuador
Sayulita@hotmail.com
At Friday, June 24, 2005 at 9:42:00 AM EDT,
Anonymous said…
This is Brian in Japan saying konnichi wa! You write really well. Even if you went to South Dakota, you could probably make it sound like the Garden of Eden. In many ways the rapture for your new home, family, scenery, etc., reminds me of how I felt about Japan when I first came here in 1972, at the ripe old age of 18. I just fell in love with it and never have really been able to leave. It will be interesting to see if you can find something to keep you in the land of cheese. I look forward to your blogging! Do you need anything from Japan? Never been there... but been there! xoxoxo Take care!
At Friday, June 24, 2005 at 9:42:00 AM EDT,
Anonymous said…
This is Brian in Japan saying konnichi wa! You write really well. Even if you went to South Dakota, you could probably make it sound like the Garden of Eden. In many ways the rapture for your new home, family, scenery, etc., reminds me of how I felt about Japan when I first came here in 1972, at the ripe old age of 18. I just fell in love with it and never have really been able to leave. It will be interesting to see if you can find something to keep you in the land of cheese. I look forward to your blogging! Do you need anything from Japan? Never been there... but been there! xoxoxo Take care!
At Friday, June 24, 2005 at 9:43:00 AM EDT,
Anonymous said…
This is Brian in Japan saying konnichi wa! You write really well. Even if you went to South Dakota, you could probably make it sound like the Garden of Eden. In many ways the rapture for your new home, family, scenery, etc., reminds me of how I felt about Japan when I first came here in 1972, at the ripe old age of 18. I just fell in love with it and never have really been able to leave. It will be interesting to see if you can find something to keep you in the land of cheese. I look forward to your blogging! Do you need anything from Japan? Never been there... but been there! xoxoxo Take care!
At Friday, June 24, 2005 at 1:14:00 PM EDT,
Anonymous said…
Hi Erica, We are happy that you are there safely - sounds as if you are having the time of your life. We are thinking of you. Keep writing. Love.
At Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 7:05:00 AM EDT,
Anonymous said…
Erica, Is there a particular time when you can be online? Brian wants you to remove the extra notes he sent. Is there a way to do that? Miss you and hope the Georgian language is becoming easier. (How do you say Georgian?) Post more...we're all enjoying it.
Love, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home